Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 8056 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I have been looking for a barcode solution for some time now and had no luck.

Then I started looking for help on this matter. In one FM Inc. tech article (no. 101309) says: "Neither FileMaker Pro for the Macintosh nor FileMaker Pro for Windows can access bar code scanners that enter data through the serial port on the computer."

Is there then no way to plug in a barcode scanner into the serial port and have the code "read" by FMPro? Is there someone who can enlighten me on this matter and how these things are done?

Thanks,

Reynir.

In general, you don't want a serial port scanner. You want a scanner with a built-in wedge that allows it to plug into the keyboard interface. This allows the scanner to emulate "typing" and doesn't require additional software or restrict what applications the scanner can be used with.

My recommendation is the MS690 Unitech scanner from SNX (www.snx.com). It's sold by other vendors at a lower price, but SNX writes their own manual and it's worth it. The standard Unitech manual is translated and very hard to understand. This scanner will work with PC, PS2, Mac ADB and Mac USB keyboards (with the iMate adapter, don't user any other ADB to USB adapter!). It allows a preamble and a postscript (characters appended before and after scanned characters) which can be used to trigger FM scripts.

-bd

[ March 30, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

This topic is 8056 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.