Login Name

This topic is 4371 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Couldn't find anyplace else for this. When you start a FM application on a particular machine, there's a place to set the login name which will come up automatically and then you have to enter the password. This login name is the same regardless of which application you open on that workstation. Is there anyway to make it dependant on the application. We have different login names for different applications. Doesn't look like it but I figured I'd ask.

Mike

When you say "application" do you mean "FileMaker solution"? At any rate, the user name that you set in FileMaker preferences is global for the application, and by application I mean FileMaker Pro. So the answer to your question is no.

Have you looked at external authentication?

I'm assuming you mean the fact that the "user name" field auto-populates with the account name of the workstation. I have yet to find a way to change this fact for every application. Although, with FileMaker Pro, if you go to "File > File Options" when you have your database file open, you can set it to log in to whatever account you like by default.

Otherwise, look into external authentication: http://help.filemaker.com/ci/fattach/get/9203/

But that's a whole bag of worms you probably don't want to get into.

The Username is a legacy feature from FMP 6 and earlier. It's never been secure because the users can change it any time they want.

I've seen solutions developed that relied on the username being a particular value otherwise they don't work. I've also seen situations where two such solutions needed to be used on the same computer simultaneously, with the username being different for each. Surprisingly they were both built by the same developer.

Set up real privilege sets and real user accounts in the file, then use the Get( AccountName ) and Get( PrivilegeSetName ) functions to work out who is who and what they can do, respectively.

This topic is 4371 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.