Transferring database to new computer / OS

This topic is 4341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey there. We have a Mac OSX server hosting Filemaker 8 with several databases. We'd like to move Filemaker 8 onto our PC server. After I install Filemaker 8 on the PC server, what should I do? I know where the Filemaker databases are stored on the Mac server, so I imagine I just copy them to the PC server. However, I'm not sure how to point our Filemaker clients to the database directory automatically. Normally when a user opens Filemaker, we choose Open > Remote and it pulls up a list of the databases. Any thoughts?

Does it not show the files on the network when doing open remote?

Thanks for the reply, mr_vodka. I haven't attempted to move the files yet to the PC server. I just figured I'd ask to prepare prior to attempting it. I've never set up Filemaker server before. I wasn't sure if there's a default path that the databases need to be stored, or if I can place then anywhere and point Filemaker server to the appropriate path.

Its been a while since I have used server 8 but it should state in the server documentation. As far as I can recall, it should be fine as long as your users are not using some kind of "favorite hosts", which could be easily updated with the new location.

This topic is 4341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.