iPad 2 Connects to Hosted Databases, iPhone 4 Does Not...

This topic is 4346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In testing my FDS version of FileMaker Server 12, I am encountering a problem that I can't resolve. My iPad2 connects to hosted databases, but the iPhone 4 does not. When I try to connect to the hosted databases from the iPhone, I can see the hosted server name, but am asked to "Enter Filename". When I enter the IP and Network File Path (10.0.1.10/RG_Content.fmp12, I get the following error message:

"The file "RG_Content.fmp12" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host"

Yet, I can connect using my iPad 2 without needing to enter the IP and Full Network Path. I have put "10.0.1.10/Databases/RG_Content" without success. I have tried connecting to other databases, including the built-in sample on the Server. No success. Both the iPad and iPhone are running iOS 5.1.1 and FileMaker Go 12. FileMaker Server is version 12.0.1.178. The MacOS X is 10.7.4. I have deleted FileMaker Go on the iPhone 4 and reinstalled it, and re-set the iPhone (twice). Still no success. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Any input would be gladly appreciated.

Rob

The fact you cannot open the sample file is odd. On the iPhone, use Safari to see if you can access the IWP pages for the sample file. That will at least tell you that the iPhone can see the FM Server.

Make sure you're using FM Go 12 and not 11. They are hard to tell apart (except for the price).

Hi Vaughan,

Yes, I have installed the "FileMaker Go 12 for iPhone" app from the App Store several times. I have also synced with iTunes on my Mac several times. The version reported from within iTunes is indeed "FileMaker Go 12 for iPhone" 12.0.3.47120. Thanks anyway.

Rob

The fact you cannot open the sample file is odd. On the iPhone, use Safari to see if you can access the IWP pages for the sample file. That will at least tell you that the iPhone can see the FM Server.

Make sure you're using FM Go 12 and not 11. They are hard to tell apart (except for the price).

Hi David,

Yes, I am sure. I double checked from Settings/Wi-Fi Networks, and I am using the same network that the iPad is using successfully. I even disconnected from that network ("Forget this Network") and re-established the connection. Still no success. Thanks anyway.

Rob

Are you sure the iPhone is connecting via Wifi to the same network the server is on?

May 23, 2012 @ 10:37 AM PDT Update.

1. I have verified that the iPhone is using the same network as the iPad 2, but without success connecting to the host server. I can see the server name, just not connect to any of the databases. When I use either fmnet:10.0.1.10 or http://10.0.1.10, I can't see the the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 using Safari from the iPhone or iPad. So there is some connectivity issue that I don't understand.

2. I am in fact using "FileMaker Go 12 for iPhone" on my iPhone 4. The version is 12.0.3.47120 as confirmed in iTunes after synching. I have re-installed the app several times on the iPhone and reset it, but still no success. I have remove FM Go version 11 from the iPhone 4. No other versions of FM Go are installed on either the iPad or iPhone.

3. Using the Network Utility on my Mac, I performed a port scan with these results:

Port Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 10.0.1.10

Open TCP Port: 5003 fmpro-internal

Port Scan has completed…

So, I know that the files are being served. Also, my iPad 2 can see and connect to them.

4. I have used Activity Monitor to force quit all "fmserver" processes and restarted my Mac. Still no success.

5. I have uninstalled FMServer 12 and reinstalled it. Still no success.

6. I have reset the PRAM on the Mac and restarted. Still no success.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Some Server settings to check on the Admin Console:

Database Server-->Filemaker Pro Clients-->Limit number of FIlemaker Pro connections

-make sure unchecked (for now)

Database Server-->Security-->List all databases

-make sure this is checked (for now)

Database Server-->Security-->Secure connections

-try turning this off is SSL is on (for now)

Edit: Oops, that's the FMS 11 Console. FMSA 12 looks roughly the same. Don't know if the admin console for FMS 12 is in anyway different.

Hi David,

The Admin Console in 12 is the same in all of those instances and the settings are as you advised (which I believe are the defaults). Still no success.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob

Some Server settings to check on the Admin Console:

Database Server-->Filemaker Pro Clients-->Limit number of FIlemaker Pro connections

-make sure unchecked (for now)

Database Server-->Security-->List all databases

-make sure this is checked (for now)

Database Server-->Security-->Secure connections

-try turning this off is SSL is on (for now)

Edit: Oops, that's the FMS 11 Console. FMSA 12 looks roughly the same. Don't know if the admin console for FMS 12 is in anyway different.

I don't think so. At most, I have the iPad connected when I am trying to connect the iPhone.

The FDS version of FMS is limited to 3 client connections... could it be they are all used up?

I'm sure I'm using wifi which I have verified via IP and network name (the only wifi network within range). I even turned off 3G and was not able to connect to the FileMaker server, but could still use my wifi network to surf the Internet.

Check that the iPhone is connecting via wifi and not 3G. Otherwise it won't be on the same network.

• 4 weeks later...

PROBLEM RESOLVED. Intego's VirusBarrier X6 had a firewall settings that were preventing the connection. Disabling the firewall allowed me to connect from the iPhone 4. Curious how the iPad2 was able to avoid these firewall barriers and not the iPhone 4. Now, I need to configure out the best way to configure my firewall, whether through VirusBarrier or otherwise. Thanks to all who provided input.

Rob

This topic is 4346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.