Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How does this work with Data Separation Model?

This topic is 4328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Scott - MirrorSync will work fine with multi-file FileMaker solutions. This would include solutions built with the Data Separation Model. You do need to pick a 'main' database file that contains table occurrences pointing to all of the tables that you want to sync. Also, when you download a copy from FileMaker Server to put on your remote device, you need to be sure to copy all of the files, not just the main one. I've just posted a new updated to MirrorSync, version 1.01 (download from http://360works.com/MirrorSync), that adds this feature. It gives you checkboxes when downloading remote copies so that you can check off all of the databases that you want to download. Of course, you can also get the databases directly from FileMaker Server by closing or pausing them and then resuming after you copy them.

• Like 1

That's great news, Jesse. I have downloaded the newest 1.01 version in preparation for testing with our FMS11 solution. Our data file contains all tables in one file, so that seems to be the only file I need to install on the remote devices, aside from the interface file, right?

Thanks for your response,

- - Scott

Oh, Jesse and 360Works team…

I did not find the term "Data Separation" within the online documentation, TechNet (including forums), or these forums on fmForums. Perhaps you might wish to include a "blurb" stating what you replied about above, as well as some specific documentation on the process in a separation of data

This would include issues such as sync conflict resolution, external authentication, and Portfolio licensing — such as how many solutions and clients are included. Perhaps these exist, but I did not find them, or I did not find things clear, but you may wish to include them into the documention and other areas of the site to prevent losing potential customers, whom I think would be significant within the enterprise-level customer base with multiple-device deployments.

You seem to have a good "mousetrap". As a potential early-adopter/user of Mirror Sync, I'd like to know it will not only work as I envision it — but that others see that as well — and it becomes a commercial success for you, and not an unsupported legacy component of my solution.

I'm really looking forward to testing the product, starting Tuesday, June 5th, and hope you will have the opportunity to answer the other questions I post before then. If it meets my expectations, I hope to initiate deployment as early as the next Tuesday, June 12th.

Thanks again for all you do with the products we use, and your contributions to the aspiring developer community in these forums.

- - Scott

Another question on this with respect to setup and install. Must I install this into the data file, or can I do it in the interface file? I hope it is the latter (setup in the interface file), because I try to keep users away from direct contact with the data file.

I am still awaiting an answer to another question (in this forum) about how to deal with External Authentication on the data file when creating the local cache file for users. I don't want to have to create a bunch of users within FileMaker, but I'll await your answer to that other question.

- - Scott

Thanks for the documentation note Scott, I've added my answers to you to our online documentation:

http://wo.360works.com/cgi-bin/support/productsupport.cgi/MirrorSync

You are correct about which files need to be on the remote device - you'll need the interface file and the data file.

Regarding support for this product, if you look at our history, we have been producing plug-ins since 2006, and we are still releasing updates for all of them. The only plug-in that we've discontinued without a migration path was our ForEx plugin (Foreign Exchange), and that was only because the U.S. Federal Reserve stopped publishing the rates on the site we were pulling from.

It's up to you which file is the 'main' file where the MirrorSync script goes - so it's fine to do all of your setup in the interface file.

• Like 1

Well that is very reassuring, Jesse — thanks so much for placating me on these questions, and especially for your prompt and thorough responses. I spent the day yesterday going through the initial Server setup and install. Today, I am configuring the client via the http link from the server. With any luck, I will be able to actually deploy this on Friday!

Best regards,

- - Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I'm in the process of setting up the first client to sync from an offline version. Our separation model consists of a hosted "Data file" on the WAN, and "front-end" interfaced files that are NOT hosted, but are distributed to users via email and a file server repository.

I setup both the interface file and the data file with all of the Sync Layouts and MirrorSync scripts. One reason I could not get the initial sync to work on my first attempt last week (and thus, the reason for the confusion about passwords) is that it would not sync from the Interface file.

So, I have just now initiated an initial sync from the data file. It has read one table of 32,000+ records (took about 4 minutes), and now I am at a point for almost 10 minutes where it states, "Status: Waiting for response from MirrorSync Server". It's starting to look like another hurdle to overcome.

- - Scott

This topic is 4328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.