Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Understanding the plug-in tab on server GUI

This topic is 4348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good morning everyone,

I've looking at that plug-in tab in the server GUI trying to see what its really for.

I though that perhaps if a plug-in is registered there, then maybe i dont need a copy on the client side?

I've 4 applications that use the filemanipulator plug-in and right now, anyone joining that team will inherite a copy of that fmx file to copy into the Extension folder.

I was hoping that maybe i can register that plug-in (one time) on the server side and that if i use my FMP client to connect to the server where that plug-in is registered, it would mean i can just use the features and no need to have a copy of the FMX file on my client.

But when i go into the application and go to scripts and do a SET field and then go into the external section, i dont see any of the previouslly available filemanipulator (i temporlly moved my fms file outside my extension folder)

My question is, what is that SERVER plug-in tab used for?

Thank you,

pat_rick

You would have to be using a plugin that was designed for server side. I am not sure about filemanipulator since I have never used it, but plugins such as Troi, 360Works Email, etc are server side compatible. So when your server side script runs it can make use of those external functions.

just in case you misunderstood, pat_rick: server-side plugins only work for server-side script schedules and for web publishing.

What you have in mind will not work. Each FM Pro client needs to have a copy of the plugin locally in their own extensions folder. You can use server to help distribute the plugins though. You will need some scripts in your solution to make that work so that your solution would check the local version (or lack thereof) of the plugin and check the server version and download the plugin to the workstation if necessary.

This topic is 4348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.