Server Maintenance This Week. ×

MirrorSync Config Utility: Primary keys not in most drop-downs

This topic is 4331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Now that we have gotten past the myriad of server issues preventing us from deploying MirrorSync, I've encountered another slight problem: I do not see the "id" primary key field name listed in most of the tables I have chosen to sync, as shown in the screen shot below.

post-105889-0-69231800-1339765681_thumb.

Any ideas on why, and more importantly, how to fix this issue so I can deploy MirrorSync?

Thanks in advance,

- - Scott

Hi Scott - there are two reasons this might be happening:

1) The field is not on the layout that you selected in the previous screen. The solution to this is to add the field to the layout and then click refresh.

2) You selected 'UUID' in the initial questionnaire, and the the id field is not modifiable. The solution to this is to either switch to serial numbers, or make your ID field modifiable. When using UUIDs, the ID field must be modifiable because we write the primary key field from the source to the destination when we create a new record in the destination. For serial numbers, we don't need to write the primary key field, we just keep track of what the ID is in both nodes and internally map between them.

• Like 1

OK, field is on the layout…but auto-modify is set to "Can't". I take it that is the issue? I will try now to change all of the primary key fields to to be unchecked for "Prohibit modification during data entry". Does this setting have to apply to all the fields I wish to sync?

Thanks again for your prompt response. Awesome service you offer.

Sincerely,

- - Scott

That is correct, MirrorSync can't write to a field set to prohibit modification, therefore it can only sync modifiable fields.

I'll make a note to add an explanation of this somewhere in the setup process.

• Like 1

OK, that resolved the missing "id" primary key fields. Then I encountered "grayed out" fields in the next step, which are all set to "Prohibit modification during data entry", so now I am going back to modify those other fields in each table to "uncheck" that setting.

Thanks again!

- - Scott

Keep in mind that some times it is appropriate to have those fields be non-modifiable. For example, creation date - do you want it to be the date that it was created on any device (in which case you want it to sync, and therefore it should be modifiable), or do you want the date it was created on that particular device (in which case you don't want it to sync, and it should either be un-checked or unmodifiable).

Be sure to apply that sort of decision process to each field before changing.

This topic is 4331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.