Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker 12 "Insert PDF" Script Step Error 3

Todd Weller

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am in the process of updating a container field built in FileMaker 11 to make use of the interactive content now available in FileMaker 12.

To do that, I've written a script to export the field contents (the PDF file) to the temporary directory and then re-insert the PDF using the "Insert PDF" script step so that the content is interactive. I'm using variables to store the two file paths I need:

$ExportPath = filemac:/Macintosh_HD/TempoaryPath/FileName.pdf

$InsertPath = imagemac:/Macintosh_HD/TemporaryPath/FileName.pdf

Originally, this process was to be run by the users in our Sales and Customer Service departments, but they started getting Error 3 - "Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)" Since they are using iMacs and networked home directories, I blamed a file system permission setting as the source of the problem. I began to experiment with the script again today and now I'm starting to have the same issue running on a local account on a laptop. I've updated the script to export to desktop instead of the temporary directory but still get the same error.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The files are hosted using FiileMaker Server Advanced 12 on an XServe running Mac OSX Server 10.6. On the client side, i'm running FileMaker Pro Advanced 12 on a MacBook Pro running Mac OSX 10.6. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

TW

Also, I forgot to add that I am error trapping to verify that the "Export Field Contents" script step is successful before attempting to insert the exported PDF using the "Insert PDF" script step. When I changed the script to use the Desktop, the file definitely appeared on my desktop so I believe that the file does exist when Insert step is executed. Could it be as simple as adding a "Pause" script step?

Thanks to a post in a different forum, I found my issue.

In an effort to be efficient, I had created a new layout with only the fields needed for my export and re-insert automated, looping script. When I created the new layout, I forgot to check the field formatting options of the container field. In layout mode, simply go to Inspector > Data > Data Formatting, and select "Optimize for Interactive Content." Once I did that, it worked exactly as expected since my manual process script had been working for a week or so.

I hope this helps someone else so you don't think you're going crazy. Have a good one.

TW

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.