Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help ! Can't open my file

This topic is 4320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

About three years ago I sat down and read enough of the FM instructions to build myself an invoicing database.

It has worked really well and I have been delighted with it - and felt very proud.

It's quite simple but did what I needed.

It was stored on a LaCie Network drive in "Safe Mode" ie RAID 1 (duplicated data on two discs)

Two weeks ago the raid drive failed. The discs were OK but I just could not access the data.

I took the drive to my local guys and they took my data off the disc using a program called "Windows Universal Filesystem Explorer"

This program saw all my data and could extract it apparently and I have been sent the all important Filemaker files.

They look correct but when I go to open them I get an error message stating

"... was not created by Filemaker or is severely damaged and cannot be opened"

I have tried Recover but that doesn't work either - same error message.

Any ideas anyone

Sure the info is in there somewhere :hmm:

I think I am now too old and slow to re-build my database from the ground up again.

If your orginal database was built on a Mac, then the Filemaker files would have included a Macintosh resource fork.

From the symptoms you are reporting, I suspect that the Lacie network drive was formatted using a Windows format, which would result in the Mac splitting the file into a data file and a resource file at the same location on the Lacie drive. The recovery procedures may have recoved both files (the resource file has the same name as the dat file, but has a dot and an underscore in front of it) but if these are no longer on a Windows format drive, the Mac will not see them correctly.

The best solution might be to copy that recovered files onto a external Windows formatted Hard drive which has a USB connection, mount that on your Mac and then try and open the files on the drive

HTH

Brian

The loss of resource fork would not be a problem.

The file is damaged. Files get damaged if they were open and not closed properly. Most likely the file was not recovered correctly from the disk.

FMI runs a fix-it service.

First off everyone thanks so much for your informed responses.

In answer to Brian - I have heard of Resource Forks and relise that they're not just cutlery but that's about all I know. :hmm:

I have passed your answer onto the guys who have been charged with rescuing my data and hopefully they can try your scheme.

Hi Vaughan - you believe the lack of resource fork would not cause this problem and mention FMi

Who or what is FMI and how do I find out about their service ?

Thanks again everyone - it's nice to know that when you're drowning out here in the IT sea there are people prepared to throw you lifebelts. :laugh2:

This topic is 4320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.