Server Maintenance This Week. ×

running FMPro on Win2K server Pegs CPU!

btrottie

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I recently moved FMServer v5.02 from an old NT 4.0 server box to a new Windows 2000 server. When I run FMpro v5.03 on the server console it maxes out the CPU and the performane is unacceptable...The reason why i need to get this working is because of remote users that need to connect to the server via pcanywhere....

Thanx in advance!

Blair

• 3 weeks later...

The core issue here is that you should not be running anything else on the CPU running FIleMAker Server. one of the most processor intensive service there is.

Additionally, the propensity for damage to the FIleMaker Pro files being hosted by FIleMaker Server is vastly increased if you attempt to open those files with a copy of FileMAker Pro or FIleMAker Pro Unlimited.

Additionally, there will likely be a Port 5003 conflict and/or a TCP conflict if both FIleMaker Server and FIleMaker Pro are running on the same box.

It's Ok to have both INSTALLED, just don't run them simultaneously. See the FileMAker Server Best Practices White paper on the FMI website.

HTH

Old Advance Man

In general you want to run the database server on a dedicated machine. Thet means that no other software should be running.

Specifically you NEVER EVER NEVER want to run both server and client software on the same machine at the same time. It has the potential to cause serious performance and security issues.

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.