Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Internet User & FMP Users

hung pham

This topic is 8424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

We try to setup a network such that not only allow FMP User/Client access to a FMP server database and but the Web User as well.

Anyone has any idea.

Someone mentioned about setting up IIS (Internet Informaiton System).

But I am sure how it's work. Currently we use PC/Windows

Thank you for any information and advise or any resource that I can contact.

Hung pham

[email protected]

I'll go with the above.

If the traffic is low e.g. up to 1 TPS, you can use only the FM 5 Unlimited serving the web and Intranet.

It will work as starting point.

If you need higher TPS, than you split the network in two.

If you need comfort, users shall have FM Clients and then the server is necessity.

If the web will need more Power, you will ideally run Unlimited on more machines in parallel -- RAIC

FileMaker is very scalable these days.

quote:

Originally posted by hung pham:

Hi,

We try to setup a network such that not only allow FMP User/Client access to a FMP server database and but the Web User as well.

Anyone has any idea.

Someone mentioned about setting up IIS (Internet Informaiton System).

But I am sure how it's work. Currently we use PC/Windows.

Well obviously you need FMP Server running on a "server" machine. Then you need a copy of FilemakerPro for each workstation directly accessing the server over the LAN. Then you setup a copy of FMP Unlimited on a "web-server" machine. This does not need to actually be your web server, but should NOT be your FMP Server.

The FMP Unlimited machine would be opening the databases from the FMP Server and allowing user to access the data via a web browser. Of course in order for this to work, your web pages need to be setup with Web Companion/CDML or Lasso/LDML to allow you to access and format the data for display and manipulation on the web pages.

Serving FMP to the web is a whole discipline onto itself and there are people who dedicate thier professional lives to this. There are also a ton of books covering this subject. Do a search on Amazon.com for them. There are also some forums specific to this right here, for any of you more specific questions.

This topic is 8424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.