Exporting to Excel with returns

This topic is 4214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I am having a problem when I export to excel,

I have a field which in Filemaker has sort of a list but not, it looks like this.

Gary

Mathew

Sam

Bill

that is all in the same record in one field, but when i save to Excel it looks like this...

GaryMathewSamBill

How can i stop this as i really need it to save with the returns.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

jafacakes2011.

Doesn't work with the native exporter. You would probably need an XML export and an XSLT stylesheet to convert it to what you want. Or export it to excel and then do some post processing there (through VBscript on Windows or AppleScript on Mac).

• 1 month later...

I create .xls all the time as XML with XSLT. But I have not found the way for EXCEL to preserve the "list" (return delimited text) that is in a single field. I researched and know there is a way to manually add these character. But I suppose, as Wim says, export so that the return-in-field is a character (like a pipe "|"?) and then when in EXCEL post process. Or maybe they need to be CRLF (carriage return+line feed) or just LF instead of the CR.

Wim, what character would be correct even if post-processed?

replying to myself :idot: Or perhaps, the column (or cell) needs to have wrap turned on to see the "list"?

If you don't mind iterating through the found set, you can build the XML into a global field and export. This will allow you to set formatting (bold, larger text, etc) for column headings, as well as provide for the multiple lines in a single cell. Multi-lines are embedded as 
 which is CHR(10) = linefeed. Note that cell format must also be set to wrap the text and the row height must be set to accommodate the extra lines. I had to do this recently to generate an Excel file using VBA, from a process control system (Alarm list setpoints). http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/grid/excel-export-with-multi-line-cells.aspx was useful.

This topic is 4214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.