Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export field data and Nul insertions

This topic is 4220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. I've noticed this issue before, but now it's causing problems for me so I figured I'd ask. I'm exporting a single field as a text file from FM11. This file will be used as an .ics calendar file. When I copy/paste the text field into a blank text file, no problem-it's recognized by calendar apps as an ics. If I use the export field function the calendars app won't recognize it. I noticed that the exported file is double the size of the copy/paste file, however both files look the same when opened in a text editor. I opened them in a hex editor and found that Filemaker is exporting the field data with a hex 00/Ascii Nul between every character, hence the doubling in size. This is obviously causing problems for the calendar apps that don't expect these Nul characters. Other than scripting a copy/paste function between filemaker and a text file any advice?

Thanks

edit: A little more on this. If I open the exported file with the nuls and delete all the text in it then put any text back in it manually, the characters all show up with nuls when I open the file in a hex editor. So when FM is exporting to a text file, it seems as though it is doing something to the file itself. I'm on a mac by the way. I haven't had a chance to try in windows.

When you export field contents, the resulting file is UTF-16 encoded - which not all applications know how to handle. Several alternatives exist, for example using AppleScript or a plugin to write directly to the file, or exporting as XML with a suitable XSLT stylesheet.

When you export field contents, the resulting file is UTF-16 encoded - which not all applications know how to handle. Several alternatives exist, for example using AppleScript or a plugin to write directly to the file, or exporting as XML with a suitable XSLT stylesheet.

Thanks.

I will give it a go.

I was just dealing with a similar issue yesterday. I ended up using a plug-in to write the file. I've been using BaseElements plug-in lately because it's free and open source. Here is a link to the function to use: https://github.com/nickorr/BaseElements-Plugin/wiki/Functions#wiki-BE_WriteTextToFile

It will default to UTF-8, but you can change the encoding with the BE_SetTextEncoding function.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 4220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.