Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't get the file to host

reidbj

This topic is 8660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am doing some tech support work for a client. She has a photography studio with 3 macs (G4, G3, 8100/80) all connected on an ethernet network using TCP/IP protocol. On the 8100/80 is a program called THE PROGRAM, dumb I know, is it a program that uses Filemaker Pro runtime to setup up this huge database and invoicing/billing system for her. Problem, she used to have a Performa 6112 that died and I couldn't get the settings off of that machine to know how to setup her new G4. The program resides on the 8100 and has a network launcher install disk that I used to install on the G4, but when I do that I can't get the program the run on the 8100 and act as the host for the G4. Right now the only way she can use it is either file share the 8100 hard drive and run it on the G4 or not file share and run it on the 8100. Very inconvenient since THE PROGRAM also does the scheduling of photo shoots and which the secretary would handle but she can't because the I can't figure out how to host the file. If anyone out there in this fantastic Mac world can help, I would be ever indebited to you. You can just email me offline or to the list doesn't matter to me. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure why she uses a launcher but is moot really. 1st-I will assume the server is running OS9 or OSX. What I did when we upgraded, was Moved all D.Bases to a holding directory/Folder. I opened a local copy of the all the db's using FMP5 (Client). Moved newly converted d.b's to the main folder of FMPRO Server. Create a start-up script placed it in the start up folder.

Start up client (Without server running)Open each all db's and edit your preferences to allow both TCP/IP and Apple talk. Close etc.

Go to TCP/IP control panel use administrate mode. Set connection to Ethernet.

Enter these settings

IP Address= 192.168.0.1 (Server)

192.168.0.2-255 (Seq Each Client)

Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0 (All)

Disregard all the rest of the settings.

Restart Server All db's should open at start up (Make sure TCP/IP is loading) Filemaker uses it own networking protocol so appletalk is moot, but since your accessing via remote it will be req. to make initial connection via remote to server.

On remote adjust settings so IP Address is unique. and click host, specify server and enter server's ip address 192.168.0.1. Program should look for host. If all files have a fP or a FP5 extention you should be able to see all databases. It is a lot to absorb I know but in the long run TCP/IP is the key. Feel free to email me if confused.

Since FM Pro

This topic is 8660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.