Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Certain layouts don't convert properly

This topic is 4237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with layouts not converting as they should? I have one layout in particular, very complex, that's been fine since version 8 , 9,10 and 11 Advanced that's quite messy after conversion to 12. Blocks of text pasted onto the LAYOUT now have borders that are not specified in the inspector. It shows no line but these objects (non-data) now have borders. I've found no way to remove these.

The General Topic FileMaker Product >> FileMaker Pro 12 is intended for the discussion of the tools that were new in the release of FMP 12,

If you have a different topic that you would like me to move it to, let me know.

Lee

Hi Rick,

I examined the 2 enclosures and see what you mean.

Here are some questions and thoughts I have.

Is this the only layout/file that you have had this problem with?

Can you reproduce this problem in a mockup file?

File Corruption?

You stated that this layout/file has been converted through several versions over the years.

Has the file been recovered during this period?

Ever get the message that "This File Was Improperly Closed"?

BTW, there was an upgrade/conversion pair of files, maybe in the version 9 era, that we would get a warning that a file was corrupted and could not be converted. When in Actuality, the file wasn't corrupted, but we would have to use a Tool (Recover?) in the tools menu, not the one in the File Menu, it would change the Metadata or whatever it needed to do, where the new version would then convert it. Unfortunately, I do not have these versions on my current computer so I can't be more specific. In any event I would try saving a copy as compacted and see how that converts.

Finally, if it will help you out you could attach a copy of your layout and e-mail it to me at the address shown in my profile.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Hi Rick,

I examined the 2 enclosures and see what you mean.

Here are some questions and thoughts I have.

Is this the only layout/file that you have had this problem with?

Can you reproduce this problem in a mockup file?

File Corruption?

You stated that this layout/file has been converted through several versions over the years.

Has the file been recovered during this period?

Ever get the message that "This File Was Improperly Closed"?

BTW, there was an upgrade/conversion pair of files, maybe in the version 9 era, that we would get a warning that a file was corrupted and could not be converted. When in Actuality, the file wasn't corrupted, but we would have to use a Tool (Recover?) in the tools menu, not the one in the File Menu, it would change the Metadata or whatever it needed to do, where the new version would then convert it. Unfortunately, I do not have these versions on my current computer so I can't be more specific. In any event I would try saving a copy as compacted and see how that converts.

Finally, if it will help you out you could attach a copy of your layout and e-mail it to me at the address shown in my profile.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I've recovered the file with no problems reported. I think the problem with the black borders on the data fields is due to them having an embossed effect in the original. However the non-data fields are the big puzzle.

However the non-data fields are the big puzzle.

I thought that was what we were talking about?

Can you send me a v11 file/layout (Remove any confidential Information)?

I've recovered the file with no problems reported

BTW, this doesn't mean there isn't any corruption. Recovery is meant to make the files so you can get to your data. It doesn't mean that there isn't any data loss, or that the files should be used. They can be a ticking time bomb, and when this happens you should be moving the date to a pristine copy of the file.

I would never use a recovered file. As it turns out I found a solution. I have Word and PDF files of this form and the text blocks can be pasted into the FM layout without the lines appearing. I will go back to the version 11 file, remove the embossed effect and reconvert, then paste in the text.

Thanks.

Edit: Lee, since I'm not in my office and using an iPad I can't send the file.

On second thought I think I'm going to delete the layouts and rebuild. This is a real pain, but if the layouts (there are two) are corrupted I'd rather eliminate the possibility of a future issue. I suspect corruption because, as I've said, there are other similar layouts that done't have issues.

This topic is 4237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.