Server Maintenance This Week. ×

AOL Disrupted Networking

eqitec

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Got a network of 2 iMacs up and running yesterday via a 5 port Linksys ethernet hub. The Filemaker hosting to the guest worked fine until they dialed out to AOL from the guest. After that, the guest could not reconnect to the Filemaker host. They went back in an reset the TCP/IP control panel exactly as it was before (when it worked). Then, when opening Filemaker, upon clicking on host,the files being shared from that host do not come up in the dialogue.

Does the swicth over o AOL-link change some other configuration setting that I'm not aware of? Any other ideas? Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by eqitec:

Got a network of 2 iMacs up and running yesterday via a 5 port Linksys ethernet hub. The Filemaker hosting to the guest worked fine until they dialed out to AOL from the guest. After that, the guest could not reconnect to the Filemaker host. They went back in an reset the TCP/IP control panel exactly as it was before (when it worked). Then, when opening Filemaker, upon clicking on host,the files being shared from that host do not come up in the dialogue.

Does the swicth over o AOL-link change some other configuration setting that I'm not aware of? Any other ideas? Thanks.

AOL takes over your TCP/IP controls and does their own configuration. This is just one of the many problems with AOL.

I suppose that you could use the Location Manager, which allows you to switch between different TCP/IP configurations. Have one with the AOL setup and one with the normal network settings.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks for the quick reply. Despite resetting the TCP/IP control panel exactly as they were before dialing out to AOL, the files to be shared do not appear in the upper dialogue of the Open....Host screen.

In previous posts I've seen suggestions to make the guests IP address different from the host. Will this help?

When you are dealing with most ISP's, AOL or otherwise, they have to assign your IP address themselves. Since your modem port and your ethernet port are physically separate, there is no theoretical reason why your computer cannot have separate IP addresses for each. However, I'm not aware of anything in the Mac OS software that lets you do that. There may be some 3rd party fix for this somewhere.

You should be able to host your database using Appletalk protocol rather than TCP/IP. Then, the IP address doesn't matter.

There are also a number of hardware/software products that let you access the internet without disrupting a local IP network. Check out the Cable/DSL routers from Asante, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't Appletalk slower tha TCP/IP?

Also the guest iMac on this network is freezing constantly. Host stays up fine. Guest just locks up every 10 minutes or so and has to be re-booted. Is this is network issue? Again these two are connected via a Linksys hub and running under TCP/IP.

I'm not familiar with the speed differences between appletalk and TCP/IP, but if it's a question of working or not working, I'd pick something that works first and worry about speed later. Don't confuse Appletalk with the old serial port network system (which Apple renamed Localtalk). It is a protocol, not a hardware type. It will work over your current ethernet hardware setup.

In Filemaker, go to the menu item Edit -> Preferences -> Application and under the General tab select Appletalk for the network protocol.

Go to the Appletalk control panel and select ethernet in the popup menu. Your Appletalk control panel may be different from mine I'm using an older machine.

Once you have done this, everything should work together happily smile.gif.

• Newbies

We've created our own Data Base using File Maker Pro 5.

Our Data Base consists of 37 fmp.files that have relations with each other.

While creating this DB our target was to unify the data of several offices to give

the equal access to DB for every user.

But now we have the problem of low accessing speed when working with DB.

This problem arises when:

1. Several users work with DB through the Local Host inside one Local Network

2. Even if one user connects with DB through Special Host via Network

Protocol TCP / IP.

Pleas be so kind to explain us the following and offer your own solution of

the problems stated below:

- lowing of the accessing speed to DB while several users are working with it

via Network Protocol TCP / IP as Local & Special Hosts;

- your recomendations for the proper settings of FM Preferences for our

company network;

- determination of the speed of data transferring via TCP / IP to provide the

most productive work.

Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

(For a response, please repost this as a new topic. -bd)

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited February 03, 2001).]

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.