Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scrolling IWP portals in Safari

This topic is 3831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I noticed that with the latest version of Safari 6/Mac OS 10.8 the scroll bars fade from view in Safari. This makes it hard for a IWP user to recognize that an IWP portal, containing a long list of items, is scrollable. It also makes it hard for users who are used to grabbing and dragging the scrollbar handle, as opposed to swiping on a trackpad or magic mouse.

In Firefox, the scrollbar does not fade from view after a few seconds, making it a better choice for old style mouse users.

Does anyone know how scrolling portals look in Safari on Windows? I believe that Safari is still at v.5.1 on Windows so maybe this is not an issue.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

There was never any reply to the post above back in 2012. We have IWP users currently who are suddenly encountering this problem with disappearing scroll bars in the portals - in Safari as well as in Firefox. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and what can be done about it? (When I log in as the user, either in Safari or in Firefox, I do not encounter the problem. She's updated the browsers, cleared cookies, etc.) Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Newbies

Well, we figured it out. In case anyone else is wondering, here's the answer: it's a Mac OS preference. Resetting it to "Always" eliminates the IWP disappearing portal scroll bars problem.

With OS X Lion, Apple made some interesting design decisions. The missing scroll bars is one that has many people frustrated. ... Fortunately, getting the scroll bars back is easy enough. Go to System Preferences and click General. Find the Show Scroll Bars section. Here you can set when the scroll bars appear. You can choose to have them appear automatically depending on the input method you're using, such as a mouse or trackpad. You can set them to appear only when scrolling. It sounds like, in your case, you'll want to select the Always option. Then you'll always see the bars, just as it was before.

• Like 1

This topic is 3831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.