Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Imports" default "View by"

This topic is 8671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by rmsherman:

When I select "import Records for a script, the process defaults to "view by Last Order," when what I need is "View by Matching Names." Is there a way to solve this problem. Thanks.

No, although in MANY cases the "Last Order" is also a "Matching Names" order. If you set a particular mapping pattern (i.e. Record No = Rec Num, etc) and save this in a script, then that pattern will always be used, no matter what the actual drop down says.

That drop down is used more for the user's mapping purposes than for the actual import itself.

Bottom-line is that you are probably fine, and just overreacting to the terminology of the drop down list.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt.

Thank you for your response. I have created two files, one a database of records and a second a monthly report form that provides results of progress based on the first file. I may have not done a good job setting it up because when I import I need to select "matching names" to ensure that that data I need is imported. But this does provide me with an accurate report, whereas "last Order" does not. When I use the import script I deselect "without dialogue" which allows me to make the choice and then the program works well. I was just looking for a way to eliminate the need for the dialogue box. Is the mapping pattern you refer to created when you define the relationship? If so I'll work on that.Thanks again.

------------------

Bob Sherman

[email protected]

try this, import using file/import command. make the import match list however you need it. look at whatever you imported and see if it's correct.

Then go to your script, go ahead and choose no dialog and upon exit, choose replace for import order in the dialog box.

This should make the last import order you used the default import order for the script and as long as the test one was correct, then everything should be okay.

Jeremy

This topic is 8671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.