Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening / Exporting Image files?

This topic is 4177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I feel I've got a grip on setting up the new container fields with external storage okay, but I just realized I'm unclear on how I can allow a user to draw upon these images external to FMP -- in other words, if you want to copy a container field image file to the desktop, or to open the actual image file in another graphics program for manipulation.

It seems as though it would be the most natural thing in the world to be able to drag-and-drop an image out of a container field onto the desktop -- just as you can drag one *in.*  But this doesn't work, right?  This really feels like a big disappointment, as I have a lot of solutions where the whole point of the database is to hold / keep track of image files that will be used elsewhere (emails, insertion into Word documents, adding to web-pages, editing in Photoshop).

Is the "Export Field Contents" script step the only means of getting container contents out of Filemaker?   It seems really cumbersome, to have to script these exports and apply them to buttons for multiple different container fields, on a variety of layouts?  

Am I missing something?  And is there any hope that a drag-out-and-drop functionality might be added anytime soon?

This is correct in order to EDIT a file you will need to export the container to make any changes as files are not editable directly.

You could attach a button to export to the desktop and then use an applescript to launch the parent application.

The alternative would be to normalize your solution so that all images are stored in a single table and then the scripted routine can be used regardless

of context, recycling the code for all images...

plus normalizing the files affords you potentially multiple attachments (images/files) for each parent record.

If you do export the record and are in effect "checking it out" for editing you may consider flagging the record notifying that so-and-so is working on the file and that it could be modified. - but all that is based on your business workflow and logic.

s

Okay, thanks, this is kinda what I feared, but I'll live with it.

Does anyoone know whether there is something structural or conceptual that would preclude Filemaker adding a "drag to desktop" functionality in an upgrade at some point?

This topic is 4177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.