Network Attached Storage (NAS)

This topic is 4136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently running a File Maker Pro 11 solution on my laptop and have been using FileMaker Go on my iPhone and iPad to access it while on the road for several years now.  It works very well.  Occasionally however, the laptop freezes up while I am gone and then FileMaker Go can't access it.  I got to thinking that perhaps I could somehow run the whole thing on my NAS device which has never seemed to have stop working like the laptop does on occasion.  The NAS is known as the Z: drive on my network.

Is it possible to put the FileMaker Pro 11 program on the NAS and then access the solution with FileMaker Go?  I don't fully understand networks and therefore am at a bit of a loss.  Will the program run on the NAS? and if so, how do I get FileMaker Go to access the solution?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Don

although you physically can put The FM file on the NAS you are recommended not to - FMP on your laptop still has to open the file and be available to host it for the FMGo client, and the same peer to peer connect is required.

In your case if you wish to have your database available to both the FM client and FMGo independently you should use a third party hosting company to host your database.

Will the program run on the NAS?

If you're asking if the file will be hosted when you put it on the NAS then the answer is no.  NAS devices are typically linux based and there is no version of FM that runs on Linux.

This topic is 4136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.