users table?

This topic is 4104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All.

I was interested in implementing a user log in/out function into my database that would bypass the built-in security system, but I've come to realize the standard FM security system is the way to go. However, I want to track my user activity to some degree. Currently, upon log in, a new record is created in a "sessions" table which assigns a "session ID" and time/date stamps the log in, and stamps the user ID as well (get user function). In various tables the user can add new records, in which their user ID (a field with a get user function) is stamped. I want to be able to view all the record creating activity a user has. I believe it can be done, but I'm curious as to how it will work as the user information is stored within the built-in FM security options.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Instead of "User" which can be easily changed and manipulated, i'd recommend you utilize the Get(AccountName) function instead.  It is tied to a specific password and the user must know that password in order to be able to log into the system.

Steven

• Like 1

I would take Steven's advice one step further. Since Account Names can change, I usually grab the User's ID into a $$var and stamp that. Find in the User table in an Open script using Get(AccountName) and then set the $$var. Don't forget to handle more than one record or no records found.

This topic is 4104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.