Server Maintenance This Week. ×

java 7 / lion server / FMS 12 issue

This topic is 3906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After being forced to upgrade java after the security blocking i find that all the java windows show as blank. I can blindly add the log-in info but the console remain blank.

Although I think this is not a filemaker issue (the java control panel is blank too) and probably isnt the right forum, Any thoughts?

Lion server 10.7.5 and java 7 update13.

I had hoped that regardless of this issue I might be able to login from a remote computer that has also been upgraded but so that fails too.

• 2 weeks later...

No answers to my blank java pane problem but at least I can now connect via a remote client machine.

Incidentally OSX 10.7 is more of a dog than a lion, so will AGAIN try to upgrade to ML. Apparently Apple have issued an update to the Server app which fixes migration and the reasons why my upgrade attempts were failing late last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade to Mountain Lion seems to have the console showing up, but Java 7 (u17) doesn't seem to work very well. Clicking actions has no effect!!!! I cant turn DBs on or off whether  remotely or when used directly on the server machine.

I hope Filemaker dumps Java in the next release.

• 5 months later...

@Aussie John:

Have you found a solution for this issue? I have it on several clients' servers. It seems to be related to not having a monitor attached to the server that I am accessing. Still looking for an answer. Google is especially quiet on the subject. It can't be THAT rare. It is a serious issue for me on several servers. All headless. FMS 11 AND 12. All Macs, too.

If I can get their IT to relinquish the proper ports, I can remote in with the console, but failing that, screen sharing to a headless server does NOT work, so I am stuck in a few annoying instances.

Be sure you're running the latest update to Java 7, not just the one included with the FileMaker Server installer.  You'd download this from Oracle's site.  Install both the JDK and JRE.  When using these with Mountain Lion, we don't see any display issues over Remote Desktop/VNC.

- John

This topic is 3906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.