Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Server Beginner Questions

TravisB

This topic is 4102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Guys,

I have a couple quick newbie questions that I was unable to find from the FM site and searching around. Im pretty new to FM so these are probably pretty basic questions.

I have been looking at FM to implement in our office for about the last year or so, have done a trial on a couple computers and feel comfortable that I will be able to implement what we need.

Questions:

1) We currently have 10 computers - my understanding is that they just all need FMP and they can all communicate with the same database but to have over 10 users we would need FM Server?

2) It sounds as if you only need one FM Server to host the FM database and all computers will have FMP - so for example in our current situation of 10 users we would have 10 FMP licenses and one FM Server license?

3) Assuming #2 is correct, you create the database on FMP/FMP Advanced and then move it to whatever computer/server is running the FM Server?

4) I will be designing the database on a laptop that will not be connected to the network at all times. The network will be LAN with no cloud capabilities at first. So when designing I would back up the database, load it onto my laptop where I work on it from and then load it back onto the server computer/into FM Server. Will that be an issue?

5) We will not have a dedicated server at first but rather run the database from a workstation (desktop computer). It will not be a dedicated workstation but rather someone will always be working on that computer at the same time as everyone is accessing the database. Will this be an issue?

I'm not really positive on how FM Server completely works but I think I'm close to grasping it. I just want to make sure that I am not going to have an issue not having cloud capabilities and the fact that I will be doing most development while not connected to the network that the database/FM Server will live on.

All answers and any futher elaboration on my situation would be greatly appreciated!

#1: if here is any value to the file then you should be using FMS even with fewer than 10 users.  There are many features to FMS that you won't have with peer-to-peer hosting done by a regular copy of FMP

#5: bad idea.  Especially if you are not going to use FMS.  There will be no way to do good backups and any user activity on the "server" will have a direct impact to all connected FMP clients

FMI has a special deal going on right now to buy 5 licenses plus server for less than $1,000.  I would strongly urge you to take advantage of that and do a proper deployment.

#1: if here is any value to the file then you should be using FMS even with fewer than 10 users.  There are many features to FMS that you won't have with peer-to-peer hosting done by a regular copy of FMP

#5: bad idea.  Especially if you are not going to use FMS.  There will be no way to do good backups and any user activity on the "server" will have a direct impact to all connected FMP clients

FMI has a special deal going on right now to buy 5 licenses plus server for less than $1,000.  I would strongly urge you to take advantage of that and do a proper deployment.

Thanks for the advice. The cost of FMS is definately low enough that its worth buying if its going to avoid headaches. At the moment I really don't have a choice but to run it off a workstation for atleast 6-12 months. If it becomes problematic even with FMS then I will look into other options.

#4: Will the database be in use while you're developing it? If so, by working on it offline, you'll be uploading a revised database missing the data changes that have happened since you downloaded it last.

It will be in use and likely for a long period of time in multiple instances. I plan to do most development after hours and plan to have multiple releases over the next couple of years. I plan to mostly expand the database in the sense of layouts/relationships/etc during these development periods moreso than modify existing layouts etc (though that will always happen as well). With this in mind, could I export/import all records easily after each development implementation?

If you don't want to implement your own server using FileMaker Server, you may want to consider using a hosting service, such as ours:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

- John

I will keep this in mind and contact you shortly if I feel thats the route I should take.

could I export/import all records easily after each development implementation?

"Easily" is relative. A single import records script step can import all data from a single table from your live file into your development file. But you have more things to consider than just the import:

• delete records from your dev file before the import
  • set the next serial number
  • translate data from old format to new; let's say the live file contained a single field: Name but the next release of your Dev file you split that field into NameFirst and NameLast. You now need to convert the data in one field into two separate fields.
  • set next serial number after import (unless you are using UUID for primary key fields)
  • error checking of this entire process. Let's say you add field validation to your Dev copy which prevents a record from being imported because it didn't pass validation - you import procedure needs to alert you of an error if this happens.

All of this can be managed, it's just that you have to know about it in order to manage it and if you are learning as you go, it's easy to make a mistake and not know it until it's too late.

Lately I've been using a product for managing this process: http://www.goya.com.au/refreshfm

Thanks for the advice. The cost of FMS is definately low enough that its worth buying if its going to avoid headaches. At the moment I really don't have a choice but to run it off a workstation for atleast 6-12 months. If it becomes problematic even with FMS then I will look into other options.

I strongly urge you to avoid going this route. You would be better advised either to use a hosting service or to have a dedicated server. PAy attention to what Wim said.

Steven

This topic is 4102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.