Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Computer not connecting to server - was working fine

krt1

This topic is 4083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all - 

My IT guys are not being very helpful, and I'm hoping someone might have an answer for me!  We recently setup a FM Server that I am (or was) accessing remotely through VPN.  I've been traveling for several days and all was working fine, but then my connection started dropping and eventually stopped connecting all-together, with an error that says the host or file is unavailable.  I've tried three different networks as well as tethering through my phone - all with the same result.  The VPN itself is connecting with no problems.  

It seems to be specific to my computer because I can access the database via FM-Go, and my wife was able to connect from my home computer (also remote) with no problems, but neither of these are on long enough to see if the connection lasts.  The kicker - in some rare cases my computer decides to connect.  I've probably tried 20 times since yesterday with no luck, but I just tried again and it worked!  

I'm not very familiar with the server or VPN setup, since that is handled by IT.  Any suggestions that I can give them to help find the problem?  

Thank you!  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback - for some reason I didn't get a notification so I missed it.  

I'm actually accessing my work server so I'm not using "back to my mac".  It looks like it is specific to one network that I use at a remote site, and it somehow carries over when I connect on other networks.  If I don't connect on the "bad" network, then everything works fine.  I'll start bugging their IT guy and see if he can figure it out.

This topic is 4083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.