portal - dynamic row height?

AlesD

This topic is 4055 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

Let me explain my situation. I have table PRODUCTS where I have simple edit box where I'm collecting feedbacks from client until client likes a product. Every feedback starts with header informations like date, feedback from, product name etc. I made a script which creates for me header+feedback text and joins it with older feedbacks and finaly put all this in editbox named feedback history. It is good for fast editing but not as good for record manipulation as it is in single record.Sometimes I need to find out all comments given at specific day and current concept doesn't allow it. Ideally I would love to have 1 table FEEDBACKS with all feedbacks given for all products and second table PRODUCTS with all product we are working on. Portal would be great but one feedback can be just "OK" and other very long sentence so my question is, is it possible to workaround fixed portal row height and have different portal row heights? I want to keep rows as smallest as possible make them all big is not desirable.

Thank you

Ales

There is a "Notes.fp7" file included in the download at the top of this page: http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/filemaker-9-tip9-web-viewers-without-the-web/

It demonstrates how to use a web viewer to display related records. This is the only way I know of to accomplish what you want; and it's a method I've used myself.

If you need to be able to edit old notes, this method doesn't work very well. Although, you might be able to add this feature if you used a plugin like: http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/filemaker/

• Like 2

Hi Ales,

You can also just use list view of the Feedback records, showing in preview mode with sliding on. Make the field the largest you will ever need, set field to reduce (also reduce enclosing part) and it will display as you request for easy reading.

So user views layout of Product and button called Feedback opens window or layout for full-page view. It's just another option.

I've tried web viewer approach and it is working well in Filemaker app but unfortunately I cannot get web viewer work under IWP? Any ideas, is it possible to use it with IWP?

It should be able to work, but it might take some troubleshooting and will have certain limitations.

I found a bug in IWP for FM 11 which might be causing the issue: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/2214235857  I don't think I've tested this in FM12, so I'm not sure if it's still an issue.

IIRC, Internet Explorer has a limit to the length of an iFrame url; which is what's used to display the web viewer on IWP.  So, if you have many related records, you might be hitting this limit.

• Like 1

This topic is 4055 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.