Summary with Running Total

jdille

This topic is 8453 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here's the deal as simply as I can put it. Let's make a DB with two fields in it and call the first one "item". The second field will be "Sumitem". "Item" will be just a number field and "Sumitem" will be a summary field of "item" with the running total option selected. Now we'll create 3 or so records in this DB and in each record we'll enter the number 10 in the item field. So if we now look at the field "item" in each record we'll see the number 10 in each field. If we look at the "Sumitem" field we'll notice that in record one we see 10, in record two we see 20 and in record 3 we see the number 30. This is how the summary field with running total should work. My question is... how do I access the last number of the running total? I want to do a lookup from another DB and get the 30 into the new DB but when I do a lookup at field "Sumitem" I can only get the first record amount of 10.

I'm using FMP 4.03 on a Mac. I would consider upgrading to FMP5 if I knew that would help but we have 5 licensed copies at work at that adds up to a few dollars.

Thanks.

John

One way (that will work in version 4) but it may not be the most elegant solution is ... from the second file, run a script in the first that finds all the records, moves to the last one and simply copies the value from that field in the last record. Move back to the 2nd database and use the paste command to put it where ever you need it.

Cael.

This topic is 8453 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.