Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Huge file size after conversion

This topic is 4066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't get it.  I just converted to 12 from files created less than a year ago.  How can this be possible (below)?

UI before 992 kb

UI after 3,372 kb

Data before 1,932 kb

Data after 2,952 kb

It converted to classic layouts so it isn't because they installed the fancy ones.  I have not yet worked at all in this and this is after the immediate conversion so it isn't because I messed with anything.  The first refreshed view of the file timestamps produced this.  I did open and close again to be sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. 

What is going on?  I worked very hard to keep file size down.  Is 12 really this bad or is there something I can do to fix this?  I only have about 20 layouts.  Also it has never crashed and recover shows no problems.

The UI increase doesn't surprise me given the addition of features in 12. I have no idea why the data file would increase so much. I spent time keeping file size down as well, but am now of the opinion that it's of little importance. Take indexing. It increases file size quite a lot, but disk space is cheap. Without indexing, a solution uses much more CPU power which is still not cheap in comparison.

My two cents,

Rick.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding Rick. 

UI before 992 kb

UI after 3,372 kb

Data before 1,932 kb

Data after 2,952 kb

But again how can new features jump file from 992 to 3372?  And data a third larger?  If this happens on very small new file what does it do with large file?  Well, nothing I can do about it since the files are pristine but it sure remains unsettling.  My first interaction with 12 isn't so impressive. 

This topic is 4066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.