Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Picture or Pdf or File when inserting .pdf file into a container?

This topic is 4064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

When I insert a .pdf into my container fields I have a questions ...

It seems like there is no difference when it comes to selecting the .pdf file to be inserted into my container fields whether I select "Picture" or "File" or "PDF" other than a cosmetic feel if you will .. the visual image one sees.

I've tried all three and all three when opened, opens the pdf into my Preview App for viewing exactly the same.

I like using "Picture" because Filemaker uses the first page of the pdf as the image ( thumbnail ) which looks much better when viewing the container fields rather than inserting using either of the "File" or "PDF" option, which insert the the ugly .pdf  image with the file name.

What is the actual difference.  And what are my pitfalls if I choose to use "Picture" instead of pdf or file to insert my PDF's.  I know insert "Picture" is for images.  I know that.  I just like the "Thumbnail" that is put into the container fields.  And since the pdf files open OK is there any harm in using "PICTURE"

Can someone school me here the Difference ( Trouble wise ) if I use one vs the other.

Thanks so much everybody.

Tom :-)

It doesn't seem to matter if I import a PDF as "picture", a "file", or by dragging the file into the container.  Exporting the contents again yields PDF files with the same MD5 checksum.  In other words they are identical. 

This topic is 4064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.