global fields on local network

This topic is 8389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using global fields to number records sequentially in several db's. stored on "server" Mac

Script sets global field to field value + 1. Reason is to keep record numbers sequential when some records are deleted or numbered as parts A, B, etc.

Global fields only update when the "host" activates the scripts

I am looking for suggestions to solve this problem without making a new db to store numbers for each file

Global fields are local to each user on a network. When a user logs in, the value in the global fields on the server is copied and they use the copy. When a script alters the value of the global field, it is altering their copy, not the original copy on the server. Useful to know.

The workaround I use in such cases where a global field is needed across the users is to have a single record in my main menu file that is not global, but a regular field. Every file in my system has a contant relationship (a relationship based on a caluclation field set to 1 for both keys), and can use this to reference the main menu file's single record. Updating this record updates it for the entire system, and so acts like a system wide global field. Just make sure that there is only one record in the main menu file (or whatever file you use). I do this by checking at the time of the closing of the database to see what the record count is for the database. If it's 1, I do nothing. If it's greater than one, I delete every record except 1, and if it's 0, I create a record.

Chuck

This topic is 8389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.