open files on host from remote in multi user?

raif

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, Here's my whole project. I want to have open only a small fm file on the host machine that says "which file do you want to use?" When you click on a button it opens that file one the host machine. You use it then you quit. Then host notices file is idle and closes or "times out".

My thinking was that once the file was open on the host I could then go to my open file -> host -> whatever file on the remote. I created the first part of the file put it on the host, scripted all the buttons to open the files in there location on the host and so forth. However, when I try it from home it says it can't find the specfied file. I can't show it where because the file isn't open on the host.

As for the time out part I don't have a clue how to make that happen. Any Help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Raif

The first part of your project shouldn't be too hard to implement -- just scripts and buttons. The FAQ section of the Forum has an article on creating "opener" files that do something like this, except they live on the client machine not the host. they make it easier for the user to open the solution without having to know where the FMP server is etc.

The second part -- idle logout -- is much more difficult. I believe that FMP server (perhaps only 5.5) offers this feature, whereby idle guests are logged out after a preset time period of inactivity. Such a logout is difficult to DIY because measuring "activity" is tricky.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Vaughan. However, what I would really like to do is open a file that is not open on the host by somehow opening it on the host from my remote location then opening it on my remote computer. I made another post which I hope states this more clearly. On the other issue of time out, if you could even point me in the right direction I could probably figure it out in time but as of yet I'm just drawing a blank. I just concidered as I was writing this that if I could also close a file on the host machine after I was done using it on the remote that would also suffice. Thanks again for your reply

Raif

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Vaughan. However, what I would really like to do is open a file that is not open on the host by somehow opening it on the host from my remote location then opening it on my remote computer. I made another post which I hope states this more clearly. On the other issue of time out, if you could even point me in the right direction I could probably figure it out in time but as of yet I'm just drawing a blank. I just concidered as I was writing this that if I could also close a file on the host machine after I was done using it on the remote that would also suffice. Thanks again for your reply

Raif

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.