Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running FM Server in ad hoc network (no internet)

This topic is 4022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings - 

I'm looking to run Filemaker, or Filemaker Server in a non-internet network, field environment. I'm certainly missing something basic in my setup, so could really use a pointer or two.

The Goal: Create a local area network using Mac laptop running Filemaker Server, in order to connect with other laptops or Filemaker Go 12 on iPad.

The Setup: 

1. I have a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.3, configured for web sharing. Set to a fixed IP. It works.
  2. Filemaker Server Advanced 12.0.4.405, fully patched. Runs great when connected to the WIFI wireless network.
  3. Ad hoc network created using the 'Create Network' function on Mac OS X. 

Results

• Another Mac running Filemaker can see the 'server' fine, via Open Remote and looking at local, or setting up a favorite hose. I can connect to the databases fine, and speed is great.
  • iPad, not so much. It sees the server, but requests filename, then says "no network connection is available

" and fails to connect.

• as soon as the 'server' laptop is reconnected to the wifi, and an iPad is joined to the wifi network, all is golden.

• also attempted, adding :5003 to the port on the host url.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Basically, I'm looking to build an intranet that is portable and can be deployed in rural, or non-internet / cell connected areas, and ideally without power or external router needed. Since it's working for mac-mac, I gotta be missing something...right?

Many thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

First of all you need to make sure that you are following the steps of hosting Filemaker files in FM Server12 correctly to access via Filemaker Go (iPad).

To know more on hosting of files from FM server for FM Go you can check the following link and follow the steps over there.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7763/~/connecting-to-a-file-via-filemaker-go

- Secondly if you are hosting the files correctly as mentioned over there, as you are connecting a local network file from your iPad you need to check the network connection setting of iPad. Sometimes there are some default settings for network access in iPad which are not allowing to connect into an unauthorized network.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks,

Thanks, I got this bit figured out... When you setup the ad hoc network, each device is assigned a random IP, and they aren't in the same address range necessarily. So what I need to figure out is how to set the ad hoc network from the macbook to work like a router and assign IP addresses... Hopefully I can do this without installing OS X server, though I'd do that if it's needed.

Make sense?

When working on a private area network with router, the devices all are on the same address range, like 10.0.1.7, for example, so they all see each other and work. But in the ad hoc, they may get a random IP like 169.212.222.14, where the main 'host' is on a different ranged address. I've seen this behavior when trying to setup ad hoc for demos of reflector, or airplay.

Everything is otherwise working when on the wifi WAN network. Filemaker runs great, iPads connect, etc. I did check per your suggestion the other network settings on the iPad and that's how my memory was jogged about the IP address range issue.

Thanks!

See: Apple menu > System preferences > Sharing > Internet sharing (that's where it is on 10.6)

From here you can share your ethernet connection (even though you won't have one!) and it will behave as a router with DHCP.

This topic is 4022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.