Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Individual Automatic Login for FM on Windows

NCB

This topic is 3857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On FM for Mac, there is an option to "remember password on keychain", allowing users to essentially be loggen in automatically when they open the database. I want to be able to have this same functionality on FM for Windows. Is this possible?

I know that there is a File --> File Options --> "Log in using:" option, but this is a global change; ALL users will sign in with this default account, and I want each user to be able to log in with their individual account without typing in credentials on their computer. Is this possible?

Also, the database in use is local to a network. Can we use our network credentials to automatically log in to the database?

Thanks!

You will want to take a look at External Authentication. There should be a white paper on it on the FileMaker website.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the link, but I would want to use LDAP, which it doesn't seem is supported by external authentication. Is there any other way to eliminate the need for each user to log in each time?

Thank you for the link, but I would want to use LDAP, which it doesn't seem is supported by external authentication. Is there any other way to eliminate the need for each user to log in each time?

LDAP is a protocol, not a directory service.  FM EA supports only two directory services: Active Directory and Open Directory.  If you want to use another one you'll have to set up a sync between your desired directory service and an AD or OD.

And just to be clear and complete here, the OS X KeyChain feature is there to mimic the behavior in Active Directory where Single Sign On occurs when the credentials--or more accurately the Ticket Granting Ticket--is passed to FileMaker Server.

To reemphasize Wim's point: LDAP is not a directory service.

Steven

• 4 months later...

This topic is 3857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.