I can IWP within my net.. but can get in from outside no ways

This topic is 4030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi... after grinding... I need help again..  TIA

I hope this is clear enuf,... I am trying to explain best i can.. thanks for your patience

I have attached 5 images

I have 2 computers in my net..

2 FM licenses (just got the 2nd lic today to test all this),

and i have a Iphone for prelim testing

My desktop ( 192.168.1.2)

my laptop   ( 192.168.1.8)        where my FM database to show resides..

I am NOT wifi using direct connect

When using my Iphone to test IWP   inside my net, on my laptop WORKS fine!

On my desktop   (192.168.1.2)

if i enter my laptop 192.168.1.8  when clicking shows my FM app file.  and  I get FM default sign in window,

showing my DB file   then clicking on my fm db file... brings up my first screen.. but stops.. there.. not continuing?    Image Capture5 attached

Just can't seem to come in my app from outside..  using FM or GO

I have adjusted my router port forwarding image attached

I have ipconfig...  image attached

I know my IP,  WhatismyIP    . but fictitiously saying so,   175.190.150.8  for discussion

This is the command i assume should work?   Doesn't can't find file or server station

175.190.150.8:591/kisstar

Isn't it basically my outside IP address   : pointing to a port  591// 
    that is configured to divert to 192.168.1.8 my laptop

Set my static  Ivp4   image attached too

Say it can file my starting files or connect

post-85391-0-37030400-1367297279_thumb.j

post-85391-0-69102700-1367297290_thumb.j

post-85391-0-49301800-1367297301_thumb.j

post-85391-0-22095800-1367297322_thumb.j

post-85391-0-67563000-1367297338_thumb.j

Your router config is all over the place.  Where it says VNC you are using the FM port (5003), and where it says FM you use the VNC port (5009).

The web port for FM is 591, not 592 as you have configured.

The FM traffic (5003) is forwarded to internal IP 192.168.1.6 which is neither your desktop nor your laptop.

You should only use 175.190.150.8  when you are outside your network (and after making sure your router is properly forwarding to the right computer on your network.

You can never use port 591 to open a FM file using "open remote" like you are showing in one of the screenshots: 175.190.150.8:591/kisstar

591 is a web port, just like 80 that you can use for IWP, not for FM Go or FM Pro to open a file.

Thanks for your help... i am really stupid to this..

I read your comments.. yes, all over the place what is wrong but what should it be?

Still can't figure...

So i removed the FTP line.. i don't need

Still confused understanding your reply

I couldn't figure what to do with 5003 or 591     so i add 2 lines to router port forwarding?

HERE ATTACH my router...

Where i am getting my dis information... trying to understand it too?

http://polytrope.com/2011/08/27/connecting-to-hosted-database-using-filemaker-go/

1. Go to Start menu and select Run…
  2. Type “cmd” (without the quotes) and hit Enter/Return
  3. Type “ipconfig /all” (without the quotes and with a space before the slash) and hit Enter/Return

That should display a screen that will reveal the computer’s IP address. Once you know that, follow the rest of the directions in the article I linked to, to set up port forwarding. As shown in the screen shot in the article, you will want to set up TCP/UDP port 5009 for FileMaker, and set up TCP/UDP port 5003 for VNC. It’s not important that you understand these terms or know where the port numbers come from.

When you have configured the router, the hard part is over, and it’s time to connect to your database.

Connecting to the database on your iOS device

Go to your iPad (or other iOS device) and launch or open FileMaker Go. The first time you try to connect, in the list of Remote Files and Hosts on the right side of the startup screen, click the server icon that has a plus sign (+). Then type your server’s IP address. This will be the IP address of the router followed by a colon and the port number for FileMaker Server (5003). It should look like this:

123.456.78.9:5003

As far as I know that’s not a real IP address. The first part of the IP address, before the colon, is the public address of your router. In my example, this is 123.456.78.9 but it will of course be something different for your router. The part after the colon is the port you opened up for FileMaker Go; it will always be 5003. You should give the server a descriptive name for future reference and save it.

Once you click Save, if everything has been configured properly, you should see a listing of the databases being hosted under FileMaker Server on your office’s host or database server machine. Select a database and open it! To reconnect to the same server later, you should be able simply to select it from the list of Favorite Hosts.

forgot to click attach

post-85391-0-21680900-1367350018_thumb.j

and ... if i am suppose to have VNC... i tried this too

post-85391-0-92415800-1367351830_thumb.j

Just can't seem to come in my app from outside..  using FM or GO

For FMP and Go you will need to open port 5003 and forward it to your FileMaker Server / Host.

Then from outside of your network you use "open remote" -> Favorite Host and use just the external IP address of your router (175.190.150.8 I think from your explanation).  Don't specify a port number.  You should then see the hosted file there.

If that does not work, it can be either:

- you don't have the correct external IP address

- your router is not properly configured

- the FM host is not running or not sharing a file, or has its own firewall blocking you

I read your comments.. yes, all over the place what is wrong but what should it be?

Still confused understanding your reply

The core of this is networking.  If you don't understand this then I would suggest getting somebody in that does know networking and let him configure it for you.  Know that if you do this wrong you may be exposing yourself to outside attacks so there is a definite risk here.

Thanks for breaking that down better.

I had a network person here already.. months ago

I am looking for a tech to set in again..
Will complete this msg when i get a answer.. Thanks

So..no one said ..   if my last Router image  was incorrect... After being all over the place..

is the vnc line pointing to 5009     is ok a required line for filemaker

I have  line tile Filemaker or FM  just a description line.

pointing to port 591          80 is the default too

so I i guess I could add another  line saying anything FM etc.. pointing to this other port 5003  to     RIGHT?    

And again.. another FM person tells me he's got THIS or THAT port set in his router..

that of to many lines, off the top of his head... to recall precisely?

Then i read another ...  his didn't work using 5003 but 591 works...

There  http://portforward.com/    for 30$ that promises    even list Filemaker as one of many

Bla, bla bla...

What my biggest concern is.. as a dummy.. compared to some of you genius out there... working in the industry, have mentor's, in the business, are educated in this field, have degree's in computers   I have atleast as much time in grinding ,, but mostly I always seem to solve these kinds of problems eventually on my own all these years..   I DEAL WITH DUMMY CLIENTS 30 years helping setup call centers  over the net.. rather Answering Serive Systems..    Mostly startups too,,,   they are the Want- Abees for new business.. All of them just want it to work..

...so I tell them go get a local tech too... 

FM Go is simpler.. inside the net,  yet theory wise for me.

I haven't found the right article that breaks it down this well enough for the dummies...

Like... ref only... Netgear/ Linksys  ie, Radio Shack stuff. or Staples. even to the point of  forget your router...

lets eliminate all the other stuff.. show me it works first!!  

then proceed .. add a Router... breakdown  the list of possibilities to deal with.. 

i don't know.. most are Win 7 people.. and I am not Mac..

probl easier...  I found XP network more complicated..   

Maybe once i get it, 

Me the dummie  - will break it down..atleast better for my clients, THAN THE technical article i found yet

I talk to clients via voice.. even joinme. or logmein too

I live in Eugene OR.. ya know..  I wish I had a close by mentor here

but I have to rely on these forums...

.frustrate..but down to calling Geeks Squad after i pay my rent/ and comcast bill

Attach img is my new Router Setup   2 lines all one needs to simply at

So I went to www.portforwarding.com      check it out...

they list Filemaker but show only port 5003   basically all server version 5003

and a couple wirdo..'s
 but not offer 591   

Actual i am working now as my image such for your minimum configurations

So... is 591 something new offered just for IWP    not for outside the net

and my outside IP    whatever the #     
 <What is my Ip> :5003   works
<What is my Ip> :591   does not        is used for IWP within your wifi   in that case use  "open remote"

post-85391-0-07628100-1367474483_thumb.j

and my outside IP    whatever the #     
 <What is my Ip> :5003   works
<What is my Ip> :591   does not        is used for IWP within your wifi   in that case use  "open remote"

Not sure what you mean by "does not    is used for IWP within your wifi"

The router looks like it is forwarding traffic on port 591 to the internal machine with IP address 8.

On that machine, if you are not running FMSA, then you need to verify that you have the file open, and in File -> Sharing you have IWP on and in the advanced options you have set it to listen to port 591 (not the default port 80)

If you are running FMSA on that machine #8 then the you need to make sure the web server (IIS / Apache) is listening on port 591 and not the default port 80

I am not running FMS   Would all this explanation been simpler if said so, b4

I am using      2 computers, 2 fm licenses, FMP and FMPA,  on 2 station win7 network to test, and write FM code...

The world is not logging on to my computers

I was told by FM sales and support,  I do not need Server,  if more than 5 users.

And anyways,  I could use a Hosting Service to b/c i can't afford Server$

So my application additionallly for now, allows 4-5 users remote,   run GO or FM to my applications from outside my net

I have been able as is log in within my WiFi,  outside my wiFi    using my iPhone... don't yet own a iPad   $$$

I think one can completely develop as i am doing... some application, and slam it to the iPad for some nice quickies.

I need to find a internet and see if my Laptop  will do the same...  next but I move slower that yesterday...

Thanks for all the replies... your a big help I do appreiciate.. Rod/

Thanks

I am okay right now, limiting my app only to 5 users -which is really enough.

So the line  Filemaker port 5003 point to :8 is okay

portwarding .com only suggest 5003

does not mention 591 a alternative of 80...   

what port does IWP suggest inside my net?

what port does IWP use outside

if i am not running server.. is my line with port 591 okay

and another questions... the discription generally used in a router..   it is not revelent is it..

meaning.. i view another routers layout... I seen 591 and port line duplications but read the Description line is only a description

it was not.. so now is..

Next.. need to get into reading  Brians rely, above..the FiedRice explanation

So.. just 5003 seemed to work on.. my little testing using my iPhone inside my net.. and outside my router down the street.

Then I took my Lap to a friends Network.. l   ogged on via FMP okay too

My IWP port set was to 82...  everything did work still

I wish , someday have FMS like your image..  200 users set.. 

Quest,   IF i have 2 different apps can I get 2 different user log in now,     one to 591    and a second use 5003  from my FMA

Thanks Wim

This topic is 4030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.