Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating email message utilizing database fields

bpwhistler

This topic is 4020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi...total NOOB.  I searched the forums and Google, but was not able to find what I was looking for.  This is probably due to poor knowledge of proper FMP terminology.  I have FMP 12 Advanced.  I have a simple contacts database made from the stock FMP templates.  I colonized it with some contacts to test.  I searched the database to get a 'found set.'  I go to File>Send>Mail and this is how I set up my email: post-108904-0-86186200-1367619065_thumb. 

I'm trying to send an email with "Dear (insert contact title and last name from found set)" followed by the same message.  I'd like the title and last name personalized.  Is this possible using this method?  I'm able to send emails with the found set...but not with the personalized "Dear..."

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks

yes, but you need to set the body of the email as a calculated field where you concantenate (sp?) all the stuff you want in it ----

for example (from one of my databases...)

"Dear " & First Name & "," & "¶¶" & "Thank you for your entry to the "  &  Show Name  & " show on " & Show Date & " in " & Show Location & "." & "¶¶" & 

etc.

text is surrounded by " ", field names are not - each is joined by a &

hth,

Martie

Thank you very much.  This will make my life significantly easier.  I've had FMP for about a year now...and haven't delved into it until now.  There's quite a bit here.

Thanks again.

Brett

Hi, Brett:

I saw that you came into chat tonight. Welcome, and don't be "freaked out" by the occasional pointy-eared messages. It's usually about coffee, cheeseburgers, and the weather! I hope you'll stick it out for a while and continue to observe and participate in future Friday Night Chats. 

Perhaps you could get to the Annual Developers Conference (a.k.a. DevCon - 2013) in San Diego during mid-August? If you do it right, you'll come away with much more than it costs to attend.

Best regards,

- - Scott

Thanks Scott...

I wasn't sure if the FNC was the best place for a newbie.  I'll definitely be back.

San Diego in mid-August would be nice.  I'm a born and raised San Diego 'boy.'  It's been too long since I've been back to visit.

Cheers,

Brett

This topic is 4020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.