Importing table structure from MySQL

This topic is 4016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

There didn't seem to be a better forum to post to, so I hope this is the right place.

I want to duplicate the table structure of an existing MySQL database in a single FileMaker 12 file.  There are a large number of tables, so creating them all manually would be tedious.

Is there a way to import the table structure in a (semi-)automated way?

Thanks.

I agree with Barbara. Why do you want to copy each table instead of using ESS? You can always import via ODBC into a new target table which will create most of the structure for you but you will want to check your data types.

Now may be a good time to ask you, Mr. Vodka, when would you Import via ODBC (perhaps with nightly server scripts) and when would you use ESS? What goes into that decision (and yes, I have a new project and am facing that decision).

I tend to make that decision based on speed for the end user. If the ESS table is so slow, then I import into a FM table ( in the case of the dreaded Oracle ).

I also import key pieces of information into FM fields for displaying info as list view ( which I usually only have as read only and not enterable )etc. Then I leave the rest of the detailed information in for form view.

Good advice, thanks. Like the idea of optimizing the List view. It's not time-sensitive, so nightly imports are OK. Inheriting the project and was questioning the need for the imports. Not an Oracle backend...will find out exactly what it is soon. Future iOS access, and so wondering if the "tunnel" thru to ESS would be slow.

This topic is 4016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.