Checkbox sets and excel

This topic is 3988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all.

I am new to filemaker, so excuse me if my question might be really rudimentary. 

I 'd like to use excel for date input, in the beginning at least, since most members of my company are well versed with it. 

I am trying to make sure I create an excel spreadsheet that will be as close a match as it can be for my database table.

And I have the following questions:

How do replicate input fields such as checkbox sets and radio button sets? That is how will filemaker recognize the convention and input it as if it were done locally with checkboxes and/or radio buttons.

What about fields that are autocreated by filemaker, I suppose I should just leave them blank, right?

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm no expert.  I do know enough about Filemaker to answer your questions though.

Radio button and checkbox sets in Filemaker come from value lists, its only an interface item, and does not change the field in the table.  Only the value or values selected are stored in the record, so in Excel you will want to make sure you only store a value that is on your value list in Filemaker (if you don't it will still import just fine).  For multiple values, as in the case with checkboxes you will want your value's in the Excel cell to be either return or comma separated, Filemaker stores them return separated but I believe a comma separated list within a cell will import to a checkbox field correctly.

With Filemaker "auto-enter" fields, you have a choice at the time of import for Filemaker to auto-enter those values or not, it depends if you want to create them outside of filemaker and import them or have filemaker create them for you at time of import.

My advice as far as data entry would be to make a layout that closely resembles what your uses are used to in excel (I did the same thing) and have them enter directly into the Filemaker database.

Good luck.

Danny

Its not clear to me why you want to use a value list. If the user interface is going to be in a spreadsheet I don't see the point in translating this data into a value list. The attribute of a value list that makes it useful is for user interface in FM. The user gets to select from alternatives in a single data field. Two things to keep in mind: 1) value lists can be done so ether only one or more than one values can be selected at a time; 2) value lists can be discrete lists (i.e. yes, no, maybe, sometimes) or derived from records in a table (i.e. the names of all customers in the table: sales). When the latter (derived from records in a table), interesting things begin to be possible by relating these values. Play around in the value list dialogues.

Otherwise, I agree with greerso. Just make the FM database look like a spreadsheet, but do tell people that its all different. Hopefully, they will then be pleasantly surprised that they can keep doing exactly what they ave been doing. After you've broken the in with that, start changing the layout so that its easier for them to use. After all, two of the great benefits of FM are that its a relational database and much more flexible than a flat file, and that it can be made to look good, as in easier to use, more intuitive,etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Danny, and many thanks for your reply and for helping me out. Great advice on the excel front, and even better advice on the overall data input. 

Hi Steve and thanks for the reply. My initial thought would be to use it as a stopgap measure. I 've started to get the hang of value lists and it's really rewarding, and I've started seeing the possibilities there. I 'll be taking your advice wrt weaning them away from excel and just having them use filemaker instead. 

Have them watch this

Indeed!

Edited by Lee Smith
no need to include the video

This topic is 3988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.