Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Preserving file creation date

This topic is 3634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have a few hundred client document files, mostly pdf, but also some images, word & excel docs that I am transferring into an FM12 container field.

The application then lists the documents in a portal with the fields; "Document_Name" and "Document_Date".

Unfortunately the transferred file's date is updated to today's date when it is dropped into the container field.

I want to preserve or record the original creation date of the file (or modification date) for 'Compliance purposes' without having to type it in for each file.

"Document_Name" was easily obtained by using;   Substitute ( GetValue ( T06_DOCUMENTS::Document_Container ; 1 ) ;"remote:" ; "")

How can I fetch the file's date before it is changed, so that I can record this in my "Document_Date" field.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(Using FM12 Pro Advanced for mac)

Dripping a file into a container field is the same as copying and pasting the document. FileMaker does NOT have a way of knowing that there is a file somewhere else.

• 11 months later...

You could try the free Scriptmaster plugin. It has a "get file modification date" function. Or use something like Hazel to append the file's date to the file name before importing to FM.

This topic is 3634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.