Need advice on user login capability via web interface

This topic is 3930 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody!

I have a FM database (version 9) that I created for a school-- it manages the students' records.

Currently, only the teachers and admins have access to it.

The plan is to create a 'front-end' to allow access to student records for the parents.

So here's out the flow would look like:

Local Network - Database - IWP -> Internet

My question-- for 200+ students, if I were to use Filemaker's built-in security, that would require a LOT of managing of users.

Instead, I would like to create a strong password for each student and then give each parent that password.

So, when they access the IWP from their home browser, it would pop up with

Student ID:

Student Password:

And once they type in their password, it'll go to that specific record only and only allow edits to that record.

Not sure how to do the above-- has anyone had any experience doing this? And if so- any example databases?

thank you so much!!

John

You could build a table to hold the info with the student unique IDs, and script all finds to include the unique ID from there...

I would think very carefully about exposing student data to the web, and relying on parents to both remember their passwords and not have them become insecure.

You will also need ways for them to be able to reset their passwords etc etc.

You should use FileMaker Server Advanced to host this system.  You can then use External Server Authentication to create the Accounts rather than placing them in all the files. THis will automatically generate a log-in page where the users can enter Account names and passwords.

Be sure you are in full compliance with various Federal and state regulatory/legal requirements about protecting student data.

Steven

This topic is 3930 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.