Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trouble with a vertical rule separating columns (in Preview mode)

This topic is 3960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greets, all:

As the title says, I'm having trouble with the vertical rule separating two columns in a report--I just can't get it to rest on top of the horizontal rule in the footer, so there's a gap between the bottom of it and the horizontal rule. (See attached.) Any ideas?

TIA for your help!

Rich

post-76798-0-09899600-1372341260_thumb.p

post-76798-0-05337100-1372341270_thumb.p

Yes, Lee. In fact, the only way I could get the vertical rule to work at all was to create three, separate small vertical rules in Layout mode, one for each part of the layout; with one long rule it wouldn't display correctly.

Apparently, the rule segment in the body "bottoms-out" at the bottom of the field within the Body part, not the part itself. :S

It appears that paper size - top and bottom unprintable areas(defined in a custom page setup) - header - footer must be an exact multiple of body size (and in your instance, subsummary size must be the same as body size, because you can't predict how many subsummary parts you will have).  

EDIT:  Further experimentation indicates that if you use the same printer all the time, you can adjust the header and footer without messing with the page setup.  But if you can't control the printer, a custom margin (greater than the minimum margin of any printer) will be needed.  Also, work in points, as rounding errors will occur in the other units.

Thanks, doughemi--that's interesting about the exact multiples of the body size.  In addition, I have no control over which printer(s) users will be using...and I have custom margins set already.

Indeed, I always work in points--it makes layout composing much easier...and necessary in this case since the vertical segment lengths I use have to be exactly 0.05 pt shorter on each end to compensate for the thickness of the horizontal line that separates the parts of the layout, e.g., the height of the Body is 16 pts. so here's the set-up (see attached).

post-76798-0-39575500-1372543129_thumb.p

This topic is 3960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.