Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Acessing a Win2003 FM11 Server with FM12 Client?

This topic is 3955 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

We have the following setup:

Filemaker Server v11.03 on Windows 2003 Server.

All clients are Filemaker v11.03.

I now have one User, who needs to access the Filemaker Servers files with Filemaker 12, because he has a Statistics Program ® which can make SQL OBDC Queries to Filemaker and that only seems to work properly with a Filemaker 12 client (64 bit). We wanto make Statistics on the data in the FM11 Files on the Server.

We have made tests. We created a local .fp7 Filemaker 11 file on his PCs Desktop and placed a simple table in it. In that file are also 2 more Tables from a file on our Filemaker 11 Server (the FM11 .fp7 file on the filemaker Server is an external data source in this local file sitting on the desktop).

ie the File on our desktop has 3 tables in it: 1 local and 2 referenced on the FM11 Server.

We made tests ***without*** having the PC attached to a network (Cable was unplugged):

If we use FM11 Client locally on the desktop file, we cannot properly access the local table and fields in the local .fp7 file via SQL Commands (the 32 bit OBDC drivers seem to be the problem).

If we use FM12 Client locally on the desktop file, we can properly access the local table and fields in the local, ***now converted to .fp12 file*** via SQL Commands (the 32 bit OBDC drivers seem to have been the problem).

So heres my questions:

1) What happens if the PC is on the network, I open the local file in FM12 and the local file in turn wants to access my FM11 Server? Will it start CONVERTING FM11 files off my server into FM12?

2) Can I access FM11 Files on a Server with an FM12 client? Is that a good idea?

3) Can I access the files like this without FM12 wanting to convert any of them?

4) Can I access a FM12 Server with 11.03 clients?

Obviously Id love to avoid upgrading everyone just because of one user needing access like this...what would be the best solution?

Thanks for the help,

Best Wishes,

Spongebob

FM11 and FM12 (ALL products) are not compatible with each other, neither forward or backward. In fact FM12 cannot even see FMS 11 and vice versa.

Get a downgrade license for your FM12 user.

This topic is 3955 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.