Server Maintenance This Week. ×

HTML Email Gone? (never really there?)

trevc

This topic is 3952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So ... under Windows XP / Outlook 2003 / FileMaker 11  simply calculating some HTML and then 'attaching' it to a sendmail command Outlook somehow recongnized the attachment as HTML goodness and essentially embedded it into the body of the email.  Life was good.

Then came Windows 7/Outlook 2010/FileMaker 11 and there seems to be NO way to send an HTML email without employing some sort of 360works email plugin,etc.?

Is this progress?  I'm guessing the reason why it worked really was with the help of Outlook and how it handled attachments and nothing FileMaker was doing.

Is this actualy true and there's NO way to natively send an HTML email in this configuration?  (I read that this might be the same in FM 12?)

What year is this?

I know. Sounds like you were depending on an unsupported feature (that, as you say was supported by Outlook).

As per the specs, html email is not natively supported by FM.

I still find that many businesses employ rules that prohibit download of HTML emails. I partially understand why, but then again...I don't. haha

Yes, Outlook was rendering the html for you. No, FileMaker doesn't do it natively from the Send Mail script step. There are some "native" options that you can play with, without using a plugin, but most plugins have already done the work for you.  You need either an Email Client to pick up the message rendering, or send via a webmail API.  And I suppose you could also use the mailto protocol and OpenURL script step to send a message.

Thanks for confirming!

This email had an internal audience so HTML is not an issue and it allowed the admins to do speciifc finds and then send out links to Operating Procedures stored in our Document Management system so in this case HTML was GOOD.

Thanks for the options. 

Too bad we can't stay on XP/Outlook 2003.   Life was good.  We had HTML email from FileMaker!  And then the dream ended.   ;-)

thanks again.

This topic is 3952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.