Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Caching

This topic is 3943 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I swear that we read that FM 12 Server would not have any limits on caching.  We are running Server 2008 (r2) on a Virtual Server.

The virtual machine has 4 Gig.  The FM12 Cache seems to be stuck at 2 Gig.  I do not find any references to caching on the FileMaker Website, on the Server Pages, whichs seems odd.  Pretty important stuff.

We are thinking about throwing a couple more Gig at FileMaker this weekend, but I do not want to waste our Admins time, if 12 Server cannot use it.

Has anybody gone over 2 Gig on 12?

FMS cache is capped at half the physical RAM, with a fixed minimum of 64MB and a fixed max of 1TB.

On 32-bit Windows servers the max is 800MB just like FMS11 and earlier.

So on your machine the max would be 2GB.

If cache is not currently a bottleneck then increasing it will not bring you anything though... Are you getting cache hit percentages below 100%?

• Like 1

Interesting.  50 percent?  That puts me in a tough position.  Adding 2 Gig makes 1 Gig useless.

I am not sure on the cache hit.  However, I doubt it is an issue on our normal data entry.  Our files are about 7 Gig total, but the data entry rarely delays.

We run a few bigger jobs though, for Marketing & Statements.  Those are now taking twice as long, in 12 versus 11.  They bog down, as you can see the cache start thrashing.

Will talk with our Admin & think about adding some extra RAM.

Thank you.

Talked with our Network Admin & he thinks 50 percent is a good choice for FileMaker.  We will add 2 Gig & see how it goes, next weekend.

I am not a Server/Network Pro, so it takes me a while to understand some of this stuff.

Thanks Steven.  I had looked at that, many months ago, and forgot about it.  Should have been reading it last week.  Caching makes sense now.  Bookmarked the post.

I think I have question about Progressive Backups, but I will think about it for a while first.

This topic is 3943 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.