Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime - Newbie Question

This topic is 3940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey guys,

I've started developing my first FM database and have a very amateur question re: runtime. What is it exactly?

I've been trying to research for about the last hour about it, and understand its a "Stand alone application and does not require FileMaker, with certain abilities removed" but what does that mean exactly?

I'm pretty sure that it will not work to utilize in my application, which is a CRM/bidding platform for the construction industry. 10-15 (probably more in the future) users will all have to have access and ability to add/edit/delete records. From what I've read, runtime will not work for this - right?

I would just create one myself based off what I already currently have and play around with it, but I'm utilizing the 30 day demo for development before buying the licenses using the annual volume licensing or whatever for all the computers in the office. I will be getting Advanced to continue development, am excited to see how well the extra features work.

My background stems from overly complicated Excel files heavily utilizing VBA, so I'm sure that, along with exhaustion, plays a part in my inability to grasp this. :hmm:

no, a runtime is not what you want - it cannot be networked. With 10-15 + users, you probably need to invest in FMP Server and have your database reside on the server, then buy licenses for each seat so each can access the database. You can also use Filemaker Sharing - but, I believe it will only allow up to 7 users at any given time (maybe 9, I forget). I use sharing for my projects, but I usually have only 3-6 seats at any given time.

Martie

This topic is 3940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.