Scripted Import v. Manual Import

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This one has 'bugged' me for years...

In my scenario I frequently update my development file(s) with the latest data from the live system and then reload the development to the live server. This is all scripted and it works. The development and live files have identical credentials and do not use an automatic login method.

In order to make the scripted methods work I have to use a File Open script step to avoid a credentials challenge on the Import Records script step.

If, however I run a manual import I do not get challenged (even if the source file was not open)

Why is there a difference between scripted and manual import methods?

when you land on a layout or open define fields or something that triggers a call to a separate file Filemaker first attempts to pass the credentials of the current user logged in to the external file. 

However a scripted process as you discovers doesn't invoke this process you may need to go to a layout first that has some related field on first forcing open the database (passing identical credentials ) or continue to use the Open File (or perform script from other file ) 

hope this helps.

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.