Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMPA 12 crashing intermittently after PDF/container field activity

This topic is 3593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all and thanks for looking,

I've got a container field to which I drag & drop references to PDF files as a sort of library within the database solution. It is formatted as:

-reduce or enlarge image to fit

-maintain original proportions ON

-Interactive content

The referenced PDF files are stored on the same remote machine as the .fmp12 file. 

The problem is sporadic crashing of acrobat within the container field. Either when dropping a new PDF file into the container or when trying to view one in the container. Less frequently, the problem leads to a lock up and crash of the Filemaker software. 

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any ideas? Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Yes! The same thing happens to me. This crash occurs when data format option is set to enable interaction.

And, what is your setup. Please update your profile with your Operating System, Platform and version of FileMaker. Here is a quick link MY PROFILE.

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

We had this problem also. We are running FileMaker 13 Server with 40 clients but were having the same issues with FileMaker 12 although not as serious. 4 macs are also on the network and they started to suffer problem first about 6 months ago. A container field with a PDF in turned out to be causing the problems. There seems to be some sort of incompatibility problems caused by Adobe Acrobat.

For Mac clients

A workaround would be using Preview as the default PDF viewer instead. This can be done by trashing "AdobePDFViewer.plugin" and "AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin" in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

For PC Clients

We are still testing but are getting good results by changing the default internet PDF viewer to something other than Adobe Acrobat.

A post on the Adobe Forums helped us solve these problems. https://forums.adobe.com/message/5818489

We were experiencing Filemaker Crashes on the Macs to the point where we could no longer use FileMaker and the PCs were starting to freeze up and crash also. It was normally during any sort of interaction with the container fields containing the PDF.

Hope this helps someone and I also hope FileMaker address these issues.

This topic is 3593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.