Two people on ipad but no server

rob

This topic is 3892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have myself and my wife and we want to put the file on FMPro on a good server-quality windows 2008 (?) box and access our file from iPads.  If we both have a license for Pro 12, will that work?  So we would need 1 copy of Pro, two licenses and two copies of GO and a server box.

In another year we can probably afford server but not now.  Will it work for us do you think?  Thank you.

And while I am asking, how do I find what are known as resellers?  We are on west coast of US but I read that we can get better prices if we buy from a reseller.  We have 9 people and we may want to consider them all using this, looking ahead a bit.  So where is best price for 9 licenses for example.  

• Newbies

If you're just running FM Pro 12 (or FMP12 Advanced) you can host your database from any PC or Mac. However, the computer has to be on, permanently connected to the network and the FileMaker application has to be running and set up for sharing. Also, you may need to configure your router.

FMGo for iPad is free for FM12. There is a limit on consecutive users for hosting with FMPro, but each of your iPad users could install FMGo for free.

• Like 1

So where is best price for 9 licenses for example.  

Call the FMI sales rep for your area (you can find it at www.filemaker.com).  They often have deals where you can get FMS and 10 copies of FMP at a very good price.

If you don't want to go with FMS just yet (and I strongly suggest that you do use FMS - if for nothing else then at least for the backup functionality) then you need to install a copy of FMP on the Windows 2008 machine to act as the host for the iPads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Wim and tgellar.  You have both given me what I need to go ahead.  For backup I planned to use the Modular FM backup process but I have not tested it yet.    Otherwise I plan to use zip to zip them then move a copy into backup file.  At least that's the plan.  I am new at this but I'm reading constantly now.  If I mess this up my wife will have my head.

We have moved getting server up on our budget and we are very excited about fm so it looks like we will be able to have server for the next version.  

This topic is 3892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.