Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"this file cannot be modified"

This topic is 3904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I made a runtime solution with 4 users, to help us at work, I haven't invoiced anyone. It works fine when I use it, logged into a computer as myself - whether I use my own filemaker log-in or the more limited option for my colleagues.

When they use it, logged into a computer as themselves, the solution doesn't work - they just get "this file cannot be modified".

What am I doing wrong?.

Thanks anyone!!

Ivor L.

Runtimes can not be shared... it sounds like you have just the one copy and that everyone is trying to work with that one?

If they each have their own physical copy then it is a matter of privileges.  On Windows, make sure the file is not locked or set to read-only (right-click it in Windows explorer).  On OSX, use Get Info to verify that the user has the proper rights to it.

• Newbies

Thanks. You are correct, it is a single copy on a server we can access independently of one another. I thought that was the whole point of a runtime solution - surely if we each have a separate copy we won't have the complete picture, only our individual input. Doesn't make sense. There are only four of us. The files are not locked/read-only. All are share-enabled. All have advanced privileges.

Do I give up?.

With regards,

Ivor L.

Thanks. You are correct, it is a single copy on a server we can access independently of one another. I thought that was the whole point of a runtime solution 

That was a wrong assumption.  Runtimes are meant to be single-user copies with no sharing with other users.

This topic is 3904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.