Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Require full access privileges to use references to this file"

mr_mike

This topic is 3892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I attempted to use this feature the other day to prevent remote FMPro databases from connecting and bringing down one of the servers I manage.  I tested this in dev but when I moved it to production - ouch.  The results were disastrous.  Some users could get into all 3 of the related files that make up the db, some could only get into 2 of the 3 files, some just got stopped at the front door.

Re-reading the instructions (http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/passwords.13.33.html) I note this phrase "A file that you want to protect must be local; however, once you turn on protection, the file can be hosted remotely."

I am confused.  Do I need to apply this locally, then upload the databases to FMSA12?  Is that where I went wrong?  Does anyone have some experience applying this?

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks

post-105919-0-42764000-1378335493_thumb.

Can you explain what was disastrous?  The file reference protection has nothing to do with shielding access to the file with normal user accounts.  The feature is for making sure nobody can make a NEW file and add a file reference to you files.

So I think your expectations may be off.  What did you expect would happen and what actually happened?

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Disastrous in this case was hundreds of users not able to complete transactions on the enterprise level database for several hours that day.  It was of my own making and as a result of inadequate testing on my part.

My expectation was that other developers who have integrated a TO from this enterprise db into their local dbs would find themselves disconnected.  The goal was to stop those local dbs from burdening the enterprise db.  A newer, more stable source of info for the local dbs has been created and we need to direct local users there.

Would that be the correct expectation for limiting file access?

I'd recommend that you read the White Paper on FIle Access Protection found on the FMPug website here:

http://www.fmpug.com/resources/security_schema_changes_filemaker_11

It will explain the reasons for this important feature and some things about how it works.  Please be gracious enough to overlook the author's numerous eccentricities.

Steven

This topic is 3892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.