Sorting a Value List by a field variable

Karl Dickhaus

This topic is 3911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a filtered value list based on a property from a related table. The first table is Products. The second table is Customers. I want a value list on the customers layout that shows only the products associated with that customer's SIC Code. There is a field in the customers table that lists their SIC code. For purposes of this solution, there is only one SIC code per customer. I want a value list that will show only the products from the products table that have the same SIC code as the one shown on the customer's layout. 

I won't bore you with the 200 approaches I have taken - I'm sure I am missing something basic, I have just been looking at the problem too long and am stuck.

Unless I am missing something, the method is quite simple: you create a new TO for Products, use it to create a relationship from Customers by SIC code, then create a conditional value list, using one or two fields from the new Products TO and starting from the Customers TO.

If you want to see an overview of the products associated with a customer, a portal might be better suited.

This topic is 3911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.