FM Server 9 upgrade

un1teee

This topic is 3866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm not familiar with FM and need some guidance please.

I have a client on FMS 9 on a Mac running OS X 10.5.8 (client). The plan is to move to a new Mac Mini running 10.8.5. For the time being, there are clients still running Leopard (and will continue to do so) and are on FM 8.5. Can I upgrade FMS? Should I upgrade FMS? If I do upgrade FMS, what version of the client should be running on the 10.5.8 Macs?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Stephen 

The current version of FMP and FMS is v12. This is NOT COMPATIBLE with any previous versions.

Additionally OS X 10.5.x is NOT SUPPORTED for v12.

I suspect there will need to be a wholesale upgrade of all software and hardware.

Database Technical Specifications For FileMaker Pro 12 | FileMaker (United Kingdom)

You could upgrade to FMS11 but not FMS12, because the Mac Leopard machines cannot run client 12. Filemaker, Inc. will sell you 12 with a "downgrade" option for just a few extra $$. 

I don't know the last version of FM that could run on Leopard. Probably not 11. A client with FM9 could open a file hosted by FMS11, but v.10 and v.11 features would not be accessible. Your file does not have such features, yet.

Any way you look at it, that Leopard machine is getting obsolete. Time to upgrade. Could it at leasts run Snow Leopard? 

This topic is 3866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.